Every year, approximately seven million boxes of Nugatti are sold in Norway.
If you calculate a portion size of 15 grams, in other words, around 400,000 slices of bread are eaten with Nugatti every day in Norway.
Orkla writes about Nugatti from its own website. Now they are announcing a possible change in the product.
May need to be changed
Now all Nugatti lovers may have to settle for a change in the product, as one of the main ingredients is usually exported from Russia and Ukraine.
Nugatti is owned by Orkla, which on Monday announced that they have discovered a shortage of sunflower oil. This may mean that they have to make a change in the recipe for the chocolate spread.
According to Orkla’s Executive Vice President Håkon Mageli, Russia and Ukraine are a major producer of sunflower oil. Now they notice that the ingredient is starting to get harder to obtain.
– You have several products that contain sunflower oil. Will the sunflower oil shortage go beyond several products?
– The war in Ukraine entails major changes for the entire Norwegian food industry. We are still looking at what changes we must make, says Mageli to Dagbladet.
The Executive Vice President says that the situation is somewhat confusing at the moment, and that Orkla will spend time making the right decisions.
– We are in dialogue with the Norwegian authorities about the case, and will work towards reaching a good temporary solution.
Considering palm oil
– We are looking for different alternatives of vegetable oils, of which certified palm oil is one of the alternatives, says Mageli.
In the past, food producers have been criticized for including palm oil in their products, as palm oil production has destroyed much of the rainforest in Southeast Asia. Production is now also a threat to the rainforests of Africa and South America.
Mageli makes it clear to Dagbladet that this is an extraordinary situation, and that extraordinary measures may then be required to have the goods produced.
– Seven foods you should replace now
– All these are things that are being worked on now. We strive to get the products as similar as possible, as they are today.
Orkla was early to replace palm oil with sunflower oil in many products. They did so in 2012, including with Nugatti.
The cocoa is sustainable, and grown in terms of people and the environment, it says on their website.