It sprouts and grows in many beds and pallet frames no. And with the crop we want comes weeds.
But weeds do not just have to be stupid – it can also be a useful crop.
Here are some of the weeds that you can eat very well.
Have you eaten weeds before?
– «If you can not beat them, eat them». There is a lot of weeds one can eat, and it is free food, says Camilla Helgesen.
She is a project leader in urban agriculture in Bodø municipality.
One of the most common plants you can find about anywhere in the country is gossip cabbage.
Yarrow is also a weed many fins in the lawn – but it is a good spice plant.
- Use yarrow in marinade for meat or fish.
- Or you can use him as a fresh herb on the slice of bread
- Or he simply put in hot dishes.
But yarrow can be confused with poisonous plants. That’s why it’s important to be completely sure of what you eat.
Dandelion is a robust weed that can grow up almost anywhere.
Although he is a mare for many who want the lawn green and straight, you can eat about the whole plant.
- You can put leaves in a salad. It tastes a bit like Rucola.
- You can make tea from the root or you can use it as a root vegetable in pots or in omn.
- If you are of the wine-loving type: make wine from the flowers.
- Before the buds bloom, you can put them in the frying pan with a little butter, or you can pickle them.
Jørgen Ravneberg, from Alta in Finnmark, has worked for the Michelin-starred restaurant Régis Macron in France.
He has written several books about what you can pick in your own garden or at the edge of the ditch.
For example, Marikåpe.
– I would use him for salad, green puree or fried tempura, ie Japanese fryer, says the chef.
Or what about the lovely, right-handed goat ram? He can eat you too.
- You can use young shoots as you use asparagus, both for grilling and frying.
- And you can also pickle the young Scots.
- You can pick and use the flowers for juice or other drinks or you can use them in desserts.
What is more annoying than being the well of nettles, while you are out walking with bare feet?
But the sting can be sweet if you instead pick the weeds and cook soup on them.
– Stinging nettle soup is so good. But you have to pick them when they are small. Then they are mildest in taste, says Helgesen from Bodø.
Burot and horseradish
One weed that many are also allergic to is burot.
But if you are one who loves a little stronger food, burot is a good herb.
– Burot is quite tight in taste. Fry it quite hard in butter and use, for example, chili marinade on top, says useful growth coordinator Ingrid Indergaard in Norwegian Mushroom and Useful Growth Association.
The same goes for horseradish that you can pick at the roadside and works well as a substitute for Wasabi.
– If you replace Wasabi with horseradish, you can save a lot of money by picking it yourself, says Indergaard.
Ramslauk is now on the red list in Australia. But ramslauk has a sister that you can eat as much as you want: Seiersløken.
You can use victory onions raw in salads or other places where you would use leeks.
And you can also pick your dinner on the shore. One of the former Michelin chef’s favorites, beach heritage, can be found there.
- Strandarve tastes like salt cucumber and you can find it on the beach.
- You should pick it in season because otherwise it can be a bit stringy.
- Strandarve is great as an accessory for aura, or instead of cucumber in Tsatsiki.
NRK has a recipe for how you can use beach heritage in cucumber ricotta:
There is also a lot of seaweed and kelp you can harvest on the shore.
What are we not going to eat?
But even if there is a lot you can eat, do not push yourself over everything you find in the edge of the ditch.
Therefore, Indergaard suggests starting at the other end – Learn the plants you should not eat.
Here are the three most dangerous:
– The plants that require treatment when you eat them are perhaps the most important to know, says Indergaard.
Here you can see what other species you should be careful about.
If you are unsure of which plant you have found, you can check in the poison information for Health Norway.
He threatens that the ritual of finding one’s own food can be caring for many. In addition, he believes it is an important step towards a more sustainable society.
– Many people do not quite know what to do in the tangle of information about how to help the environment. I think it is a good start to get to know the plants in the vicinity.
– The more people who collect, the closer we get to a more conscious and sustainable society.